Sunday, November 25, 2007

Scooter All Gone!

On Thursday Afternoon, after a routine break between two of my classes where I ate lunch and talked to Joelle from my apartment, I went outside to get my scooter and ride on back to school. Only my scooter was not there. Unsure whether my scooter was stolen or towed away, I went to the security guard in my building to see if he knew what happened. He, of course, does not speak English. But, as luck should have it, a tenant of the building walked by who spoke some broken English and we were able to figure it out. Unknown to me, the security guard called the police. The problem is that I am technically driving my scooter illegally. Technically, everything I do here is illegal. All of a sudden, I was turned from victim to suspect!

All at once I have a police officer asking me for my motorcycle license and my working permit. First, I don’t have a motorcycle license. Second, I don’t yet have my working permit. I am starting to get nervous. I had earlier tried to call the principle at my school to inform her of my situation and ask for her help, but she was in a meeting. I tried to inform the police that it was not my scooter and that they would have to contact the owner – that is the person who I rented it from. They didn’t seem to understand and then a police cruiser pulled up and they asked me to get in so I could go to the police station with them. Just a little word of travel advice, don’t get into a police car when you don’t know why they want you to get in and dont understand what they are saying. SO, heeding my own advice I didn’t. Then, the principle from my school called me back and was able to talk to the police for me. She told them what I was telling them and the police left.

I went back up to my house, still a little worried about the entire situation. Then, I got a knock on the door of my apartment a few hours later. It was two armed police officers. They asked me again if MY scooter was stolen. I told them that it was not my scooter, but rather, the lady who I rented it from. They asked for her number and called her in front of me. I am not sure what exactly they came for? Was it just for the number, or for me? Whatever the reason, they talked to her on the phone and then left. About 3 hours later, my heart began to slow down again. This probably would not have been a big deal, maybe a fine. But, worst case scenario – I am held in jail and then deported. Not fun. That night, the lady who I rented the scooter from brought me slightly older and slightly crappier scooter. All was fine. However, my feeling of security and being at ease had eroded. I feel a little different now being here and am looking more forward to being home.

After this experience, only one question still looms….who in their right mind would steal my crappy scooter?????

No comments: