Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The First Days of Intense Work

As I began my first day of work at the orphanage, I quickly began to realize that, unlike the orphanage I visited in Africa, Kids International was extremely well run. They had a huge inflow of volunteers and most of them are staying on a long term basis, ranging from a team that is here for 6 weeks to a few people who will be here for a year…it makes my one week seem pretty pathetic! They were well organized and had a the funds to do some pretty amazing things (see my previous blog post). My work was to be whatever I wanted to make of it and so I began.

On my first day, I went to the school and helped out with the kindergarten class. I did have some experience with this as I most of my classes in Taiwan were kids of this age. The major difference was that most of these kids spoke remarkable English and this time I was the co-teacher helping out the real teacher who was Pilipino. In the evening I went with a bunch of people to Faith Academy, an international school where many missionary’s children go, and watched a basketball game. Friday is the night off for most volunteers, lucky me, on my first day of work, I got some time off!

Saturday was exciting for me. An 18 year old girl had decided to have her birthday party with the kids at the children’s home rather than a typical 18th birthday. She brought food, cake, games and presents for all the kids. I got to partake and had tons of fun! The evening was full of more children’s time, including devotions with the kids and helping them get ready for bed.

The first two days were awesome, I don’t think I did a lot to help but I was able to develop a relationship with the kids nonetheless and I guess that’s never bad!

No comments: