Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Awaiting the Unknown

Here I sit in the Vancouver airport awaiting my 13 hour flight to Hong Kong. It is a weird feeling, sitting in the familiarity of Canada and awaiting the total unknown! I saw an Asian travel group not too long ago. The tallest of them came up to my chest, the shortest to my belly button. They spoke fast and with passion, I had no idea what was going on. I imagine this, but on a much larger scale, will be my experience once I arrive in Taiwan. It is scary, yet somehow exciting. Is it madness to step onto a plane and have no idea what will await you on the other side, to go to a country with 1.3 billion people, and yet know no one? Part of the time I think it is, other times I realize that these experiences stretch us and make us stronger. I have no doubt that this experience will be a broad amalgamation of good times, great times, and challenges. It is however the mixture of these that will make it what I wish it to be, the reason I decided to go; a truly life changing experience.

I wish to say to my friends that you are awesome and I can’t wait to come and tell you all my stories and show you all my pictures. We will keep in touch through the marvel of the internet and all its applications (ie. facebook!). To my mom and dad, thank you for everything you have done to help me with this trip. I would not be sitting in this airport without you! Thank you also for instilling in me the confidence that allows me to take on such an endeavor. To Carissa, you are seriously my best friend and I will really miss you, however, not much will change! Instead of me talking to you in which ever random city you are in, I will be talking you on the phone from Taiwan while you are in a random city. To the boys, Jason and Josh, a big brother could not ask for better little brothers, even though one of you is already bigger than me and the other is soon to follow. Over the years our relationship has turned from me baby sitting you and running from charging stools, to a relationship of genuine friendship. There are no other guys on the planet I would rather spend time with than you, I will miss you lots but we will talk often and perhaps send the odd email back and forth! Joelle, what can I say. When I planned this trip about 7 months ago, I had no idea that I would meet someone as amazing as you. The last 5 and a half months have been awesome and I wouldn’t trade them for anything, even though it doesn’t make leaving Edmonton any easier. Your support in this whole situation, and the fact that you are cool with me leaving for 6 months, is incredible. I am a very lucky guy to have you in my life.

Next time I write I will probably be lost in Hong Kong somewhere!!! Until then have fun in Edmonton. It was 27 degrees in Taiwan yesterday (thought you might like to know!).

No comments: