Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Lost in Hong Kong

I arrived in Hong Kong at about 11pm Hong Kong time. The adventure begun. I did not really have a sense for where i was going to be sleeping, though I had got the name and number of a few places. After spending about 25 minutes looking for a phone, I proceeded to find a place. THen, not having any clue where it was or how to get there I went to visitor information and got the directions in english, then written in mandarin. I took a train and then got a taxi. gave him the directions in mandarin and off I went. The wierdest feeling is having to totally rely on someone else. Not having a working phone anymore (which is wierd in and of itself) if something went wrong, I would be in Hong Kong with no means of getting ahold of anyone, and, perhaps scarier, no one to get ahold of.

But, here I sit in my hostel. It is somewhere in Kowloon, which is a district of Hong Kong. The room is small, but private. it is about 5.5 feet wide and about 8 feet deep. The ceiling are normal height, but the bed is small and hard. I have an air conditioner and a little tv and I share a bathroom with about 4 other poeple. The bathroom is pobably about the size of the shower in my house. The only difference is that in that space their is a toilet, a sink and the shower. The shower head comes up to my chest!

So here I sit. In the middle of Hong Kong not knowing anyone and not having any idea where I am exactly. I will endeavor to discover this tomorrow when it is light outside. Until then I will anticipate the adventure to come in the morning.

No comments: