Monday, October 22, 2007

Edumicating the Youngins

I have now been out of the Canada for about two weeks, and in Taiwan for about 10 days. It has been a wild experience so far. It seems like I have been out of Canada for a very long time, much longer than two weeks. The transition to this very new and very different culture has been hard at times. Couple my feelings of culture shock and missing friends, family and Joelle with experiencing all these feelings in relative relational solitude, and there are times that are very tough. On the other hand, I am experiencing what many only ever dream of. This trip is truly dichotomous, a cohesion of tough times and excellent ones - often all at once!

Keeping with that theme of hard and amazing all in one experience, lets talk about teaching english to kindergarten students. I officially have my own class now. The youngest in my class are 2 years old with the oldest being 5. That is a naturally difficult age range to teach to, never mind the differing language skills. I have a Taiwanese teacher in my class that helps with discipline. By helps with discipline I mean that when a student gets out of line she scares the living crap out them, usually makes them cry and, sometime, gives them a good whack! I am told by other teachers that I will need to get used to my students being hit, because it is going to happen - that is just the way it goes in this country. I have been here one week and seen it one time, although in this case, it was a mild smack on the butt!

The teaching itself is going to be an exercise in energy conservation. I have these young kids for 2 full hours. Trying to keep the kids who are this young focused for that long is a trial all on its own, never mind the reality that they usually dont understand everything I am saying and with the simple action of no longer looking at me, can tune me out at any time. Some kids are better at english than others are, but for the most part, even the simple concepts have to explained in great detail using many different forms of body language.

Although this will be a challenge, it has already been rewarding. Hearing "good morning Teacher Jordan" in their cute little accents is one of the highlights of my day. They are so cute and I enjoy almost every moment with them. It is hard to be a good disciplined teacher, as I have to be here in Taiwan, when all you want to do is give them a big hug! I have a feeling that these kids will be the highlight of my trip!

So, thus far life in Taiwan has been full of many challenges and many good times. I really miss those back home in Canada, but am grateful for every second I am here - I know it is a blessing and an experience that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. And, for all those blessings I have back home, I know that I will cherish them so much more once I return.

No comments: